The Cathedral Saint-Jean-Baptist[The Saint-Jean Cathedral] [Stained glasses]
The church Saint-Jean Baptiste is also called Cathédrale Saint-Jean or Primatiale Saint-Jean. The Cathedral being the church of the archbishop and this one being the Primacy of Gaules, the cathedral of Lyon thus bears the name of Primatiale of Gaules.
The construction of the Cathedral started in XIIeme century with the manecantery (surrounding wall). The stones of the primatiale come from several places, some were taken on Roman ways, others fell from the hill of fourvière and finally a part came from the surrounding careers. The stone masons were located on the Saint-Jean place.
Between 1165 and 1180, the apse, the two side chapels as well as the transept were built in a Romance style, the vault of the apse then transept are in a Gothic style.
In XIIIeme century, the two Eastern towers, the first 4 spans of the nave and their vaults are completed as well as glass chorus with the rosettes of the transept.
The 4 last spans, the inferior part of the frontage are completed at the beginning of XIVeme century. The rosette of the taken frontage principal seat in 1392. The frontage and the turns will be finished in XVeme century. A statue of God the Father will be placed at the top of the pinion in 1481.
The style of the Saint-Jean Cathedral is not purely Gothic. This composite style harms to him, it thus does not appear parmis the most beautiful cathedrals.